Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity’s charter has been suspended by its national headquarters, according to Executive Director of Phi Kappa Sigma Toby Smith.

The decision was made pending an investigation of the death of John Carroll University student Matthew Crozier, Smith wrote in an e-mail. Crozier suffered fatal head injuries after a fall at the fraternity’s chapter house on New Year’s Eve.

For the time being, “[Skulls] can’t hold any activities as a fraternity,” Skulls president and Wharton junior Max Holz said.

“I think that decision is probably one that has been made with a lot of thought and consideration,” Interfraternity Council president and Wharton junior Harris Heyer said.

“If a suspension is going to help the national organization sort out the various issues that the local chapter may be facing, that solution is obviously preferable,” he added.

Skulls has been on administrative warning from the Office of Student Affairs/Fraternity and Sorority Life since the beginning of January, Holz said.

The fraternity was also barred from recruiting new members this semester.

Penn Police confirmed the presence of alcohol at the chapter house on the night of Crozier’s death, despite Skulls’ strict policy as a “dry” fraternity, as stated on their website.

Neither the national organization nor Holz were able to give further comment as to the future of Penn’s chapter, which was created in 1850 as the founding chapter of Phi Kappa Sigma.

Office of Student Affairs/Fraternity Sorority Life Director Scott Reikofski was unavailable for comment throughout the weekend and on Monday.