02132011_freedomtomarryday024
Students organize fake weddings for Freedom to Marry Day Credit: Alexandra Fleischman

“By the power vested in me by Freedom to Marry, I now pronounce you husband and husband.”

With that proclamation they kissed, and College juniors Stefano Di Tommaso and Quintin Marcus were married.

This, however, was neither an ordinary marriage nor an ordinary wedding. This was Freedom to Marry Day, an annual event hosted by Allies — Penn’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender interest and advocacy group for straight students — in support of same-sex marriage.

While National Freedom to Marry Day was held Feb. 12, the event in Houston Hall took place Sunday, Feb. 13. Allies has hosted this event for 14 years, but “last year, Allies was working through some issues, so it was smaller,” said College sophomore Jake Tolan, who performed the ceremony for Di Tommaso and Marcus.

This year, however, Freedom to Marry Day at Penn was back in full force. Bodek Lounge was adorned with tulle and pink and white balloons. A wedding cake and sparkling cider added to the festive atmosphere.

After Di Tommaso’s and Marcus’ ceremony, anyone in attendance could propose and get married. “It’s a way of loving friends, boyfriends, girlfriends and saying ‘I’m going to celebrate this,’” Tolan said.

While the ceremony, by nature, was lighthearted — Marcus and Di Tommaso danced up the aisle to “Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry — its overall message held more gravity.

“The right and the freedom for lesbian and gay couples to marry is a prominent issue,” LGBT Center Director Bob Schoenberg said.

While the ongoing presence of Freedom to Marry Day on campus reflects Penn’s support of LGBT rights, the freedom to marry is not universally accepted, College junior Victor Galli said. Galli is the vice chair for Political Affairs for the Lambda Alliance, Penn’s umbrella organization for LGBT groups.

“Some of our peer institutions have ... actually had some Christian groups protest” events such as Freedom to Marry Day, he added.

Tolan said, however, that at Penn “those that are not so LGBT-friendly know how to not say anything.”

“People who aren’t pro-gay marriage on campus have no vested interest in showing their opposition,” Galli added.

This open atmosphere allows the LGBT community to further its ongoing call for equal rights.

Events like Freedom to Marry Day draw attention to the fact that “we don’t have rights that others may take for granted,” said Di Tommaso, who is also the advocacy chairman for the Queer Student Alliance.

“It’s just ridiculous that there’s this giant entity that straight people can participate in and gay people can’t,” Marcus added.

While marriage is still far in the distance for many undergraduate students, Freedom to Marry Day “sheds light on something that is important to them,” Schoenberg said.

Marcus agreed, adding “I may not be the marrying type, but I still want those privileges.”