In addition to posting photos and messages, social network users can now share their dreams online.

Thanks to REMcloud.com ­— a website created by Wharton masters of business administration graduate Kim Muhota — people everywhere can record their dreams in fewer than 400 characters, much like Twitter.

The site launched in January and is gaining popularity. It currently has more than 1.4 million fans on Facebook. In January 2011, REMcloud will be launching “university dream clouds” where students from a particular school can share their dreams with each other, and the organization has asked Penn to be the first.

“Dreams are the single human experience that the globe shares literally every day,” Muhota said. REMcloud allows users to recognize similarities between their dreams, he added.

“We are creating thousands of ‘Aha!’ moments,” he said, where “five other people who have the same recurring dream about rowing on the Schuylkill in their boxers” can connect over the internet.

Aside from allowing users to post their dreams, the site provides dream interpretations and documents trends in dream topics ranging from President Barack Obama to Jersey Shore.

Muhota said the dreams posted on the site are often scary, funny, strange or even gut-wrenching.

Pennsylvania native and REMcloud user Kristen Butler called her experience “very awakening.” She found it fascinating that people connect through their dreams.

Butler said she started using REMcloud as a way to document her dreams and discover possible interpretations.

“Dreams have an immeasurable impact in my life. They are the guideposts along my life path,” she said, explaining that she believes them to be messages from the human mind.

Butler said recording dreams in print helps people solve problems and remember good ideas.

Muhota also noted some of the world’s widely known ideas which have arisen through dreams — ranging from Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight saga and James Cameron’s movie Avatar to Albert Einstein’s Theory of Relativity.

Though REMcloud wants Penn to be the first school to have a university dream cloud, some students are unsure if they would use it.

College senior Rachael Durkin thought the concept was “really strange,” though she could see it becoming something like a cult in the future.

“It’s an interesting idea although I probably wouldn’t do it,” she said about posting her dreams on the site.

Similarly, College senior Anna Fountaine said she would be reluctant to use the site because her dreams are “so personal” and she would share them with only close friends.

Although she has always wanted to keep a dream diary, she noted it would be “private, not public.”

College senior Catherine Hsu said though she sees the appeal of the site, she doesn’t think it’s relevant to college students.

“I’m just not sure how salient it is to me right now,” she said. “Maybe when I’m old and boring.”