Photos from the scene at 40th and Locust streets in the early morning of Sunday, Nov. 21 after a shooting involving police and two suspects in a carjacking. Related article: Shots fired near high rises.

For an ongoing discussion on this topic, see the comment section of the breaking news article.

Multiple shots were fired shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday near 40th and Locust streets, leaving one man dead.

According to Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush, a carjacking occurred near 50th and Arch streets just before 3 a.m. Sunday. At 3:01 a.m., a Philadelphia Police officer reported following a vehicle eastbound on Locust Street moving at a high speed, Rush explained.

The gray Cadillac crashed into posts that block vehicles from entering Locust Walk at 40th and Locust streets. Two armed males exited the car and fled on foot across the 40th Street Field.

One suspect dropped his gun and was apprehended by police on the 3900 block of Walnut Street, while the other fired shots at police officers. Officers returned fire and hit the suspect, who was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and pronounced dead at 3:09 a.m. The vehicle was removed from the scene Sunday afternoon.

No other injuries were reported, according to the Division of Public Safety.

Philadelphia Police declined to comment on the incident, citing an ongoing investigation.

College senior Andrew Goldman was walking on 40th Street at the time of the incident. He wrote in an e-mail that a police car stopped behind the stolen vehicle. “Cops jumped out, pulled guns and chased the men, jumping over the benches. Once they got onto the field, shots started, and it became obvious that the men had guns. I saw one try to run across Locust, and while under the spotlight, he turned and fired at one of the cops. The cop fired back, hitting him what seemed to be multiple times,” he wrote.

After the incident, police cordoned off 40th Street between Sansom and Locust streets and parts of Locust Walk. Students reported not being permitted to leave the high rise dorms after the incident. Others were ushered into local businesses, such as Smokey Joe’s.

The last reported fatal shooting in Penn’s patrol zone occurred Oct. 17, 2008 when Penn Police responded to gunshots at 40th and Ludlow streets. Police found two injured men on the ground, one of whom was pronounced dead at HUP.

Online Managing Editor Noah Rosenstein and Managing Editor Samantha Sharf contributed reporting to this article.