04052010_newsjoke064
College senior Fred Grover’s kitchen was cited for 23 health code violations Monday. More health inspections are planned for student residences around campus. Credit: Maanvi Singh

*This story appeared in the 2010 Joke Issue.

College senior Fred Grover was cited for 23 violations of city health code Monday, according to Philadelphia Health Department spokesman Jeff Moran.

Mouse droppings, flies and cheese kept at 70 degrees Fahrenheit were all observed in Grover’s fifth floor Harnwell College House kitchen.

Moran added that the Harnwell inspection is just the first of many to come in Penn’s residential buildings.

Wharton junior Ben Appetight, one of Grover’s hallmates, was also cited for several violations, but claims he is doing everything possible to remedy the situation.

“Things happen — my friends leave the door open and mice come in. That’s just something you can’t control,” Appetight said.

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania spokeswoman Susan Phillips wrote in a statement Monday that Grover’s kitchen may have increased the number of visits to HUP by as much as 10 percent.

Grover’s kitchen was also cited for having a pantry stocked full of pork and bread, without a single piece of matzo in sight.

In response to the violations, the Student Health Service launched an extensive campaign to raise awareness of the importance of dorm kitchen sanitation. The campaign includes posters with the text, “Wash Your Dishes. Ask Us Why” and “Wipe Up Your Mice Feces. Ask Us Why.”

“We [received] numerous complaints from girls trying to make themselves breakfast in strangers’ kitchens on Sunday mornings,” Student Health Service director Evelyn Weiner said. “They’re the true undercover investigators here.”

Grover, whose hearing is scheduled for next Wednesday, is currently being held in the first floor of 1920 Commons as “a fair punishment for his crimes,” Division of Public Safety spokeswoman Stef Cella said.

Cella added that students did not receive a UPennAlert on their iPads or cell phones because Grover was not deemed “an immediate threat to the public welfare.”