With a six-game winning streak on their heels, the women’s softball team will take on center city challenger Temple in a doubleheader today.

The Red and Blue have had little success against the Owls in the past. A proven tough opponent, Temple has not lost to the Quakers since their 6-0 victory in 2005.

However, coach Leslie King isn’t affected by the losing streak.

“I feel confident that if we play well, we have a very good shot,” she said.

After Penn’s sweep of Yale and Brown last weekend, the Quakers (9-12, 4-0 Ivy) will go into today’s game sitting atop the Ivy League standings as the only team still undefeated in conference play.

Though Temple is coming off a wining streak of its own after sweeping St. Bonaventure last week, the Owls (10-17) have had a rocky start to the season. Their pitching staff has struggled ­— only one of their hurlers has an earned run average below 6.05.

Unlike the Owls’, Penn’s pitching has been a strong suit over the past six games.

Junior Taylor Tieman, who returned from injury last week, has not let her late start to the season deter her from regaining her spot as the team’s ace. Tieman has pitched in all of the last four games, including two complete game shutouts. She enters today’s game with a nearly spotless ERA of 1.25.

“Taylor’s return has given us a real boost,” King said.

The Quakers will need to take advantage of Temple’s weak pitching at the plate.

Though Penn struggled offensively at the beginning of the season, the bats have been on a hot streak. In their last six games, they have outscored their opponents 33-16.

“We’re hitting a lot better as a team and that has taken the pressure off of our pitching staff,” King said.

The Quakers are a young team, boasting eight freshmen on their roster, but the younger players have proved themselves. Freshman Brooke Coloma knocked a grand slam in the final inning of Friday’s face-off against Brown.

“I think that some of the reasons we’re getting better as the season’s going on is because it takes a while [for the younger players] to adjust,” King said.

But while the Quakers may appear to have the upper hand on paper, the history books tell a different story.

Not only will Penn try to extend its six-game winning streak even further, but after failing to beat Temple in the last five years, it is also hoping to set the record straight between the Big 5 rivals.