04092009_kristagolf135
Krista Hutz learns golf from men's golf team..Tiffany Cheung Credit: Krista Hutz

Though it’s often hard for a team to shake off the rust after a long break, the Penn women’s golf team seemed cobweb-free throughout the majority of its first tournament since October.

Entering yesterday’s final round of the Lady Seahawk Classic in Wallace, N.C., the Quakers stood in the lead over their host, North Carolina-Wilmington.

Ahead by 11 shots after two rounds, the Red and Blue seemed poised to take home first place despite windy conditions and an unfamiliar course.

Out of the Quakers’ control, however, was UNC-Wilmington’s spectacular third round play. The Seahawks shot sixteen under any other team in the last round of the 10-team tournament.

Their performance gave them a three-round total of 915, which allowed them to edge out Penn. The Quakers’ final score of 928 brought them a second-place finish.

Penn’s dominance of the first two rounds was remarkable considering both its extended break from competition and the two-day tournament’s unfavorable weather.

“The conditions were pretty tough,” said coach Mark Anderson. “Next time we have a lead like that, we’ll be able to handle it a little bit better.”

Anderson attributed a large part of the team’s performance to their mental focus.

Senior Catherine Elliott added that although the Quakers had every reason to feel nervous, the team was delighted to finally start their spring season.

“It’s always kind of hit or miss with your first tournament,” the senior said.

Elliot shot extremely well, earning a score of 227 and tying for 4th in a 51-competitor pool. Tiffany Cheung, Isabel Han and Meredith Kotowski put up low individual scores as well, all finishing in the top 11.

Elliott added that there is much to build on after the solid showing.

Both she and Anderson said that after this game, the team will do much better holding onto leads — with better play in the third round, the Quakers could have easily walked away with a victory.

The team next competes March 29-30 at the Hoya Invitational in Bealsville, Md.