Along with Fresh Grocer, there are a number of food establishments near campus currently listed as out of compliance with Philadelphia health code.

According to the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, being out of compliance means that food handling activity, operation and management practices observed during a health inspection do not meet city requirements.

Inspections are conducted periodically by Philadelphia’s Office of Food Protection, part of the Department of Public Health. If a food establishment is found to be out of compliance, it has 30 days to remedy the violations before a follow-up visit.

The inspections are “risk-based,” meaning that they evaluate factors known to cause food-borne illnesses, such as improper holding temperature, contaminated equipment and poor personal hygiene.

Penn Dining establishments were all inspected this year because of the transition from Aramark to Bon Appetit, according to Paul Bulau, district manager for Bon Appetit.

Hill, 1920 Commons and Falk Dining in Steinhardt Hall are all currently listed as out of compliance. As are Houston Market, Sushi Do, Burger Stop, Starbucks and Subway — Penn Dining retail locations — are also out of compliance.

Bulau said Bon Appetit has addressed the items identified and will be “working proactively” to maintain compliance, a plan which will include random internal inspections that “mirror Health Department standards.”

However, health code violations may be more complex than they seem, as food establishment owners often struggle to make necessary changes in such a short time frame.

Marco Lentini, owner of Taglio — located at 3716 Spruce St. — said many of the restaurant’s 10 violations are because of infrastructure that was left behind from Savory, a former on-campus dining option run by Aramark, such as noncompliant light fixtures and a lack of hot water.

“I honestly have no idea how they got away with operating here,” he said.