The next couple of weeks will clear up a lot of uncertainties for the men’s track team.

Although the Quakers competed in six preseason exhibitions, veteran coach Charlie Powell stressed that last semester’s results were not suitable indicators for what to expect when the season kicks off in earnest Saturday with the Penn State Northeast Challenge at State College, Pa.

“We hope that we have everything set in place”, Powell said. “The next month and a half will see if we’re on target or not.”

The 27-year coach was more certain about who will likely shine for Penn this semester.

Quakers fans should look for senior John Carelli in jumps and juniors Christopher Baird and Darryll Oliver in distance and middle distance, respectively.

New talent should also emerge in the form of freshmen roommates Tim Carey and Michael Brown, both hurdles runners.

Powell also indicated which schools pose the biggest threat to Penn. Thanks to his former assistant coach Nathan Taylor, Cornell has formed what the Quakers coach called an Ivy League “triumvirate” alongside long-time rivals Penn and Princeton.

The Big Red will be at the Northeast Challenge along with other regional schools like heavyweights Connecticut and Georgetown.

Although Powell emphasized that his Quakers will treat Saturday’s meet like a preseason encounter with many of his foremost athletes not competing, he was clear about his target to finish in the top three in Ivy play this season.

Yet the Quakers won’t stop there. Powell mentioned that his ultimate goal was to finish at the top of the standings.

“If you don’t have that in mind,” the coach said, “then you don’t have the right mindset.”