The gymnastics team anxiously awaits their first meet, unsure how they will perform with a new assistant coach, a host of injuries and eight freshmen.

The meet, hosted by George Washington, will take place Sunday at 1 p.m.

Head coach John Ceralde has high expectations for this season. He hopes to qualify for the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships as a team and bring back the Ivy Classic Championship, just as they did three years ago.

The past two years, Penn finished third, but Ceralde believes this year will be different due to the new team members.

“The freshman have a direct impact in the line-up even though they are young and inexperienced,” the coach said in an interview with Penn Athletics. “They are eager to compete and willing to continue the program’s success.”

The team’s new assistant coach, Corrinne Wright, will also help the girls meet Ceralde’s goals. Wright has a stellar background in gymnastics, competing as a member of the 1985 and 1986 U.S. National Teams and winning the All American title nine times. Over her collegiate career, she also won NCAA championships in the all-around and the floor.

The only factor that may inhibit the team is the absence of gymnasts due to injuries.

According to a member of the team, two girls hurt their knees at the intrasquad meet, one freshman is out for the season with an ankle injury, and a senior quit due to her injuries.

Time will tell if the benefits of eight new recruits, and a new assistant coach can outweigh those setbacks.