msquashinside
Womens and Mens Squash vs. Franklin & Marshall Credit: Michelle Bigony

This season, the Penn men’s squash team is no stranger to fatigue. Two weeks ago, the Quakers played a doubleheader against Cornell and Western Ontario in the same day — just minutes after one another.

After dominating Franklin and Marshall on Wednesday, Penn (1-2, 0-1 Ivy) will host Yale and Brown this weekend. With a four-day gap between their 8-1 victory over F&M; and their match against Yale, the Quakers will have just a day to recuperate before their match with Brown.

But for this team, especially with the momentum they have, that one day of rest is more than enough.

“I think everyone is pretty fit and we’re happy with that,” senior captain Mark Froot said. “One match a day is fine with us after the Cornell-Western [games].”

The Quakers will play Yale tomorrow and Brown Sunday. Yale (1-0, 0-0) is ranked No. 4, while Brown (0-1, 0-1) is ranked No. 13.Both teams will challenge a Penn team ranked No. 7 that is looking to capitalize on their 8-1 victory.

“Overall, one win is good for our confidence going into the weekend,” coach Craig Thorpe-Clark said. “I’m pleased with that. It obviously works in our favor for us to have a good match a few days before a big weekend.”

Last season Penn lost to Yale, 8-1, on the road, but will look to leverage their home-court advantage and their win over F&M; into a ‘W’. This weekend will provide the Quakers with a chance to find out where they stand relative to the rest of the Ivy League. Coming off a Wednesday game, however, fatigue will be an issue.

“It’s going to be important for certain people who had tough matches today to rest because I know we have to turn around on Saturday, ” Froot said.

In addition, determination to win will be a key.

“Squash is one of those sports where it really comes down to the will of two people,” Thorpe-Clark said.

Though the Red and Blue know a fair amount about individual players on Yale and Brown, the game isn’t just about who has more talent. According to Thorpe-Clark the Quakers will have to bring a swagger that they haven’t found yet.

“It’s a team style and a dynamic that I’m looking for that we can improve on to help us compete,” Thorpe-Clark said. “Yale is a highly ranked team.”

Froot added, though, that despite Yale’s intimidating stature, matches with Yale have been close lately, including the 5-4 loss in 2007.

“We’re hoping to go out and be competitive with them,” he said. “It’s a big weekend.”