11192009_clipse0461
Clipse, Mike Posner, Big Sean and Hoodie Allen perform at the Zellerbach Theatre Clipse

When hip-hop duo Hoodie Allen took the stage Thursday in the Zellerbach Theatre, students stormed the stagefront, eager to see not only performances by big name artists, but also familiar faces.

For this year’s annual Fall Concert, the Social Planning and Events Committee To Represent Undergraduate Minorities hosted the Hoodie Allen duo as well as the Thornton brother hip-hop duo Clipse, rap artist Big Sean and Duke University senior and hip-hop artist Mike Posner.

Audience members heard hits from Clipse, including some of the duo’s unreleased material that appears in its upcoming album, “Till the Casket Drops.” But in addition to the already-popular music of Clipse and Big Sean, many students said they came to watch performances by artists from their own peer group.

Nursing senior Tiffany Mahuad said she came out to support her friend Steve Markowitz, Wharton senior and one half of the Hoodie Allen duo. She said she has been listening to his music since freshman year and was proud to see him perform for the community.

Markowitz and the other half of the duo, Tufts graduate Sam Obey, were greeted by chants from the audience before they even took the stage. The duo performed songs from their “Making Waves” record as well as new material.

According to Markowitz, he and Obey have been working together since high school. They appreciated the excitement and support of their fellow students.

“In this college environment, it’s nice to have students rally around one of their peers,” he added.

SPEC-TRUM co-director and College junior Ferrell Townsend said the committee tries to bring “new, up and coming” hip-hop and rhythm and blues artists every year, most of whom students have not yet heard of.

SPEC-TRUM co-director and College senior Brittany Minor added that historically SPEC-TRUM has hosted unknown artists who soon afterwards “end up blowing up” in the mainstream music industry.

“I’m not personally interested in music,” SPEC director and College senior Dasha Barranik said. “But I trust SPEC-TRUM to bring in some really great artists.”

Wharton freshman and audience member Andrew Weinstock said he “prayed for Mike Posner” to come to Penn when he arrived on campus in the fall. Posner recently hit number one on iTunes.

“I had a lot of fun at the concert,” he added. “SPEC-TRUM really knows how to bring in the great artists.”