11102009copa_shooting
Shooting at 40th and Spruce Credit: Rachel Baye

Police are investigating a shooting that injured one man near 40th and Spruce streets shortly before 2 a.m. Tuesday.

Four shots were fired, striking a Copabanana bouncer in the right leg, according to Philadelphia Police Public Affairs spokeswoman Tanya Little.

Deputy Chief of Investigations for Penn Police Michael Morrin said the bouncer at the restaurant — located at 4000 Spruce St. — was attempting to break up a fight that started outside the bar near its closing time.

The bouncer was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and was treated and released early this morning. He is in "good condition," according to Penn Police Chief Mark Dorsey.

Little said the bouncer told police the gunfire did not come from the people who were fighting but from an unknown third party. She added that it was unclear whether the shots were aimed at the bouncer or the people fighting.

No one else was injured in the incident, Little said.

According to Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush, very few people were on the street when the shots were fired.

Residents reported hearing several gunshots, and said they saw people fleeing from near Copabanana after the incident. The group fled southbound on S. 40th Street, witnesses said.

“I saw people running from Copa in hysterics — screaming, laughing,” said College senior Melissa Metelits, who lives across the street from the restaurant.

Police were interviewing people outside Copabanana after the incident, and told residents who were on their porches to stay inside.

Dorsey said no one involved in the incident is believed to be affiliated with the University.

He added that the Division of Public Safety is working with Philadelphia Police Southwest Detectives, who are primarily responsible for the investigation.

Little said that there are no suspects at this time.

Rush said DPS posted a public safety alert on its web site after the incident, but that no additional notifications were necessary since the event did not pose any additional threat to the community.

Dorsey agreed, calling the event an "isolated incident."

"Alcohol and guns don't mix," added Rush.

Check back later for more details.