diningcp
New dining spots, such as the Burger Stop, have opened under 1920 Commons for the fall semester. Houston Market has also been revamped.

In addition to living in Hill College House, students can now literally eat The Hill House.

The Hill House is just one of a number of burgers named for a college house at the Burger Stop, the new burger vendor under 1920 Commons. The eatery is among several changes to the retail under 1920 Commons and in Houston Market.

In the case of the Burger Stop, the change in vendor was a step toward more locally raised and environmentally sustainable food. Burgers at the Burger Stop are made from bison raised 33 miles outside Philadelphia at Hendricks Farm, ensuring freshness, as well as a shorter distance for transportation and carbon emissions, according to Penn Dining general manager Paul Bulau.

Penn Dining’s Director of Business Services Laurie Cousart said the changes to Commons are part of a larger effort the University is making to bring more local food to campus.

Students will also find a Hershey’s Ice Cream where Jamba Juice once stood. Hershey’s will sell smoothies, milkshakes and over 30 ice cream flavors, according to Bulau. Some of these products will include dairy produced by cows at the School of Veterinary Medicine.

“We had tried Jamba Juice, but it just didn’t sell well,” Cousart explained. “At the same time, we had requests from students for ice cream and milkshakes.”

C3 has been replaced by the Uncommon Market featuring food products students can utilize in resident halls, Bulau said. The market sells bulk items, as well as kosher, vegan and vegetarian products.

“We worked with Hillel to have a full line of special kosher products, recommended by Hillel chefs,” said Bulau. “We moved away from salt and sugar with foods that can be utilized for meal replacement.” About 30 percent of the Uncommon Market’s products are kosher.

In Houston Market, Penn Dining has created new food stations, which Bulau said feature more authentic flavors.

Products at the new sushi station will meet the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch guidelines using sustainable fish.

A new pasta station platform prepares Italian dishes to go. Next door, students will find a New York-style deli with panini presses and oven-fired personal pizzas.

A grill in the alcove offers locally produced beef burgers and a taco station with dishes using homemade beans, Bulau said.

Lastly, the salad station has not moved, but it now also includes carved-to-order protein toppings for salads.

In the coming weeks, Houston will offer different weekly hot dishes for students to “grab and go,” according to Bulau.

The new dining options have been well received by many.

“I came into Houston this year and was surprised at the variety of healthy options,” said College junior Sarah Ribner.