09222009_gardenundercommons006
Hydroponic gardens in the basement of 1920 Commons. Credit: Linda Li

Now 1920 Commons is not only serving up the lettuce — it is growing it, too.

About a month ago, Bon Appetit Management Company planted a hydroponic garden — which grows plants by infusing nutrients in water, rather than using soil — in 1920 Commons.

“We wanted to do something innovative to show how we can be sustainable with alternative and out-of-the-box methods in our own community,” said Krysten Odit, the Kosher manager at Steinhardt Hall’s Falk Dining, who helped plant and is overseeing the garden.

The hydroponic gardens are located on the bottom level of 1920 Commons and feature plants such as heirloom lettuce, dill, sweet basil, rosemary and chives.

According to Odit, hydroponics allows plants to thrive where they generally couldn’t, such as in urban settings. Without soil, the use of pesticides and soil-borne diseases are also eliminated.

“Bon Appetit is really striving for sustainability. We are making it a goal to work with the best goods, including organic fresh produce,” said Dining Services general manager Paul Bulau.

The garden is an extension of Bon Appetit’s commitment to buying local. Sustainability and food responsibility are integral to the company’s philosophy, said Odit, and this is just one effort toward attaining that goal.

“The hydroponic garden is an ideal project because it is easy to maintain, and it grows incredibly fast,” said Barbara Lea-Kruger, a spokeswoman for Business Services, which oversees Penn Dining.

According to Odit, Bon Appetit plans to experiment and expand the garden so all dining chefs have access to the plants.

“When they came in, I knew Bon Appetit was committed to local agriculture, but I didn’t realize they planned on growing herbs,” said College senior Mordechai Treiger, a Penn Environmental Group codirector and former Daily Pennsylvanian columnist. “The garden is a good start, and I am also excited that Bon Appetit is considering turning other open areas of campus into gardens as well.”