09162009_greenclimateactionfest188
Students and administrators look through displays by environmental groups both from campus and the surrounding area. President Amy Gutmann announced at the fair that Penn will attempt to reduce its carbon footprint by 5 percent in the coming year. Credit: Shrestha Singh

Although by some counts Penn’s sustainability initiatives are far from perfect, a number of experts agree that the Climate Action Plan, launched last week, is a step in the right direction.

The plan represents the University’s fulfillment of the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment, in which college presidents pledged to design a plan to reduce the University’s carbon footprint. Penn President Amy Gutmann signed the agreement in 2007.

Penn was one of just 88 schools to submit a plan by the deadline of the 392 to sign the commitment, according to Inside Higher Education.

Listed among the goals set out by the Climate Action Plan are a 5-percent reduction in energy use in the next year, and a 17-percent reduction by 2014. In addition, the University aims to achieve a 100-percent increase in recycling across campus in five years.

According to some, this plan represents much-needed improvement.

Over the summer, for example, Penn ranked 45th out of the 135 schools in Sierra Magazine’s “Cool Schools” ranking, which determines the environmental friendliness of a college or university. The Sierra Club based the ranking on energy, efficiency, food, academics, purchasing, transportation, waste management and administration.

“Penn’s lowest category was energy efficiency because the campus got more than a quarter of its energy from coal,” said Avital Binshtock, the magazine’s lifestyle editor. “To their credit they do use 45-percent wind, but using more alternative sources of energy would be a plus.”

Others say that although the plan is a step in the right direction, it is not enough.

“I would encourage [Penn] to be aggressive with their energy conservation goals,” said Andrew Kreider, an environmental protection specialist at the Environmental Protection Agency. “Finely detailed plans are nice to read, but if there’s already a commitment University-wide to meet these goals, [Penn] should go ahead and get started on making changes.”

He added that the EPA still believes Penn to be a leader in green initiatives. The school is serving member of the EPA’s Green Power Partnership, which tracks schools that buy renewable energy, providing them with resources and advice.

Binshtock added that the Climate Action Plan may have benefits other than helping the environment and cutting energy costs.

“Being green is a new measure of prestige for universities. High school students are asking about academic reputation, sports, social life, and really asking how green the campus is,” she said. “A school like Penn should be interested in attracting these students, and the plan could potentially help do that.”

In fact, a number of schools seem to realize this. On the Cool Schools ranking, Harvard University — ranked 11th — led the Ivy League in energy efficiency, and Yale University — ranked 14th — was recognized for its food operations. The University of Colorado, Boulder ranked first on the list, leading in efficiency, transportation and waste.

“The [Climate Action Plan] will be helpful in increasing the University’s sustainability,” said Dave Newport, director of the UC Boulder’s Environmental Center. “But it is difficult to compare initiatives from one campus to another.”

He added that Penn’s plan responds well to its unique conditions and demonstrates leadership expected of the University.

“It’s a positive thing that Penn is thinking a lot more about it and setting a series of goals,” said Jenna Stahl, College junior and member of the Penn Environmental Group’s executive board. “For the size and location of Penn, they are doing a really good job in creating a realistic sustainability plan.”