The CDC has confirmed nine cases of swine flu in Philadelphia as of Thursday morning, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Health.

Eleven probable cases of swine flu have now also been reported in Philadelphia, though the infection has not affected the Penn community.

Further testing in those cases must be done to confirm swine flu, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Health.

Twenty-eight probable cases of swine flu virus have been reported in the state, and 22 cases of the virus have been confirmed so far.

Penn is "actively monitoring the influenza outbreak," according to an online update on its home page posted May 1, and is working with both City and state officials to keep the community updated and prepare for the possibility of further cases in the area.

The University has also suspended all Penn-sponsored programs to Mexico until further notice after the Centers for Disease Control and U.S. State Department issued travel warnings for all nonessential travel to Mexico. The University does not have a study-abroad program in Mexico.

As of Thursday morning, there are 4,298 confirmed and probable cases of swine flu in the United States, and three people have died from the infection, according to the CDC.

A 2-year-old Philadelphia child became ill on March 23, before the current outbreak was recognized in the United States. Since that time, the child has recovered fully.

Initial tests showed that the child had the influenza A (H1N1) infection, but the Philadelphia Department of Public Health requested that the child's case be reviewed further in light of the current swine flu outbreak. Results have not yet been confirmed.

Further information on the other Philadelphia cases was not available.

Related StoriesCDC confirms two Philadelphia swine flu cases - NewsThree probable swine flu cases reported in Philadelphia - News