Omega isn't the average secret senior society. While Penn's other senior societies - which selected their newest members earlier this month - bring together student leaders from across campus, Omega has a distinctly Greek focus.

Penn's Order of Omega's are cherry-picked from Greek chapters, representing "the cream of the crop," according to Scott Reikofski, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.

The Order is comprised of one Greek leader from every chapter on campus. In the words of Omega President Michael Eby, a College senior and Sigma Alpha Epsilon pledge educator, "It is a Greek leadership society that brings together the leaders of the Greek community."

According to the national organization's Web site, Omega was founded "to help create an atmosphere where ideas and issues can be discussed openly across Greek lines and to help work out solutions."

The Omega Order prides itself on promoting values-based leadership, and has a strict no-hazing policy. Members are "tapped" in a closed selection process, culminating in an initiation ceremony known as the Ritual.

While the society only inducts members of social fraternities and sororities, non-Greek faculty and professors can also be nominated as honorary members.

Penn's Omega chapter has a unique history. While it began as part of a 50-year-old national organization founded at the University of Miami, it split off due to differences between national and chapter leaders, and recolonized last year.

However, OFSA has taken issue with some of the society's practices. While he would not elaborate on details, Reikofski mentioned that Omega has fallen away from its goals.

"The group chose activities not in line with Omega's academic mission," Reikofski said. "The last good conversation [OFSA] had with Omega was almost a year ago."

Eby maintains, however, that "there has not been any issue about the Order."

Social issues notwithstanding, the Order offers a variety of grants and financial aid to its members. Since 1985, it has awarded $609,950 in undergraduate scholarships and $114,750 in graduate fellowships.

This year, the national organization is sponsoring a "50 for 50 Campaign" for the Order's silver anniversary. $50 scholarships will be given to select Omega members nationwide who are "making a difference on their campuses."

In addition, the Order of Omega will also celebrate the anniversary at an annual conference in Jacksonville, Florida.

"Omega has a distinct influence on the Greek society at Penn," Eby wrote in an e-mail. "I have loved it."