The sudden vacancy of the dean of admissions post has led to a temporary replacement: Eric Kaplan.

Kaplan, who used to work as the University's Associate Secretary, managing academic programs like Convocation and Commencement, will serve as dean through the end of this academic year, when Penn hopes to name a more permanent replacement.

In the meantime, Kaplan, excited to spend the next eight months in College Hall, sat down with The Daily Pennsylvanian to discuss what he'll do during his quick stint.

The Daily Pennsylvanian: How do you feel about your new position?

Eric Kaplan: I certainly feel as though it's a privilege to be representing Penn. I feel a great sense of confidence that the office is in terrific shape and will attract an incredible class for 2012.

DP: When did you find out that you would become the interim dean? What was your reaction?

EK: I found out earlier [last] week. . It was completely unexpected, and I was incredibly surprised.

DP: What qualities and experiences do you bring to the position?

EK: I've been a dean of admissions already [at Lehigh University]. I also spent nine years working in the admissions office here at Penn, so I think I have a good sense of what it means to be a dean of admissions, and I also have an excellent sense of what it means to represent Penn and the importance of what the admissions office has in the recruitment and selection of the entering class.

DP: How does it feel to be filling the shoes of someone who has been at the University for so long?

EK: As dean of admissions, Lee [Stetson] did an extraordinary job. He actually hired me in 1994, and I have always had great admiration for him. I think that the work that he's done in the admissions office has really poised the institution for the next person to come in and continue the momentum.

DP: What challenges will you face this year? What goals do you have?

EK: There are always challenges in college admissions, and I think one of the greatest at Penn is there are far too many extraordinary applicants.

Admissions is really about tradeoffs and making decisions in the best interest of the institution and making sure the composition of the class really reflects the highest priorities of the University.

DP: Is there a chance you'll be filling this position permanently?

EK: I've agreed to do this on an interim basis, and I'm not a candidate for the job.

DP: When you were applying to college, did you ever think that one day you'd be working on the other side?

EK: I never thought that. I think when you're applying to college, you just want to get through the process and make sure the outcome is one you're happy with. That was really one of the furthest things from my mind, but I will say I was a tour guide in college.