tw020yfu
Dick Polman, Jack Nagel and Donald Kettl (left to right) speak on the 2006 midterm election as part of a "Democracy in Action" panel

Facing the possibility of losing control of Congress in a few weeks, Republicans are haunted by their mistakes and scandals over the past few years, two political experts say.

Political discourse was in full swing Friday evening as about 40 students, alumni and community members gathered at a roundtable discussion entitled "Democracy in Action: A Look at the 2006 Mid-Term Election" in Fisher-Bennett Hall.

Panelists Donald Kettl, a Penn professor of political science, and Dick Polman, a Philadelphia Inquirer political columnist and blogger, shared their opinions on the issues that will most influence the upcoming midterm elections.

Kettl outlined a list of three issues that he said are influencing the electorate and causing voters to question President Bush and his Republican administration.

First on his list was Hurricane Katrina. The lack of organization in the days following the storm dealt a blow that the administration still hasn't recovered from, Kettl said.

Next, Kettl discussed gas prices, which soared over the summer.

"Gas prices have become a symbol of what is fundamentally wrong with the economy and what's going on in the Middle East," Kettl said.

Finally, he touched on the war in Iraq and the uncertainty that surrounds its eventual conclusion. Many independent voters have abandoned what appears to be a failing Republican strategy and are looking to the Democrats for new leadership, Kettl said.

Meanwhile, Polman discussed the effectiveness of current Republican strategy by raising three relevant questions.

First, he questioned whether the Republicans' core argument that they are "the party that can keep you safe" could work for a third election in a row. He cited a "credibility gap" between the success the administration has claimed in Iraq and the continuation of violence that is readily observable in the news.

Polman's next question was whether the conservative Republican base would come out or stay home this November, frustrated by issues of runaway federal spending or a scandal involving former Congressman Mark Foley.

Finally, he questioned whether the Republican last minute turnout mechanism would work again as in past elections.

The discussion was well-received by attendees.

Louis Gambaccini, who takes courses in the College of General Studies, said he considers this to be a crucial election.

"So much is at stake for the future of foreign and domestic policy," he said. "So many things are broken that need to be fixed."