Squeezing in to a closed class is about to get easier - but at a price.

A Wharton and Engineering senior has created a program called "Class Buster" that will enable Penn students to know the exact second space opens up in a full class.

The site - located at hometown.aol.com/classbuster - was officially launched Thursday.

It is currently available free of charge for anyone looking to find a spot in a class this semester. The last day to add a new class is Friday.

Once the next add/drop period begins in October, though, subscribers will be charged between $15 and $25 for different versions of the program. But that charge is making some administrators question exactly how ethical Class Buster is.

They will receive a cell-phone text message as soon as the class they are looking to get into opens up and will then have the option of either registering for the class themselves or having the program do it for them, according to the site's creator, who would only speak on condition of anonymity because he fears disciplinary action.

And while the program is sure to alleviate some of the stress that often surrounds getting into popular - and quick to fill - classes, University officials remain somewhat wary of it.

A major concern is that students will literally be able to buy an advantage over other students, according to Ed Rentezelas of the Office of Student Conduct.

But Rentezelas, who called the program "interesting," added that it isn't likely that the OSC would be able to identify the mastermind behind the technology.

"I'm not sure about whether there would be a penalty," Rentezelas said.

But some professors, who teach classes that are sought-after during registration, are responding more vocally - and aren't so impressed.

"Such an enterprise would be patently unfair and exploitative," said Sociology professor David Grazian. "What's next, scalping for prime seats in SOCI 100?"

Class Buster does not bump out students already enrolled in the desired class. Rather, it alerts users of an opening as soon as it occurs.

Other faculty members have commended the site for its innovative quality, but still agree that it should be available to all students, regardless of how much they're willing to fork over.

The site is "very smart and entrepreneurial, so more power to him," Finance professor Andrew Metrick said.

Metrick added that while Class Buster would give an advantage to some, the current system - which requires students to keep logging on to Penn inTouch until a class opens up - favors students with the most free time.

"It's unclear if that's better," said Metrick, suggesting that the University either buy the program from the site's creator or amend the registration system altogether.

The Office of the University Registrar, which manages Penn inTouch, refused to comment on Class Buster.