[Paul Kwak/The Summer Pennsylvanian] NJ Transit rail lines may extend service from 30th Street Station to Newark, N.J. The plan would provide another option for students looking for a fast, cheap way into New York City and back.

New York City might become more accessible to Penn students if NJ Transit has its way.

The popular rail line is considering extending its service into Philadelphia's 30th Street Station, making it easier for students to get to destinations in New Jersey and New York.

Presently, if a student wants to get to New York, they can either take Amtrak directly -- which is more expensive -- or take a regional SEPTA train to Trenton, N.J., before switching to a NJ train to New York's Penn Station.

SEPTA's R7 train to Trenton makes local stops in Pennsylvania, slowing down the commute, whereas the planned extension of the NJ Transit system wouldn't make those stops.

Though commuters would still have to switch trains, the result is a faster, comparably priced ride to New York City, according to NJ Transit officials.

College senior Dan Solis said that he would be happy to see NJ Transit make it easier to get to New York, which he said he visits about twice a semester by taking SEPTA to Trenton and transferring trains.

"Generally, it's really good, but the problem is that if SEPTA is delayed you can get caught for an hour," Solis said.

Solis, who is from central New Jersey, also takes NJ Transit to get home and said he would prefer taking a more direct train to Trenton rather than SEPTA.

"It sounds like a really good idea," he said. "I think it would be helpful especially when you're traveling on weekends and you need to get back."

SEPTA spokesman Richard Maloney said that the addition of a new transit service wouldn't significantly affect SEPTA's business.

He said he was aware that commuters might prefer taking NJ Transit trains from 30th Street Station instead of the R7 regional train, but said it wasn't a significant concern because the R7 makes the local stops that Pennsylvanians need while a new service wouldn't.

The new service would also provide a fast, cheap ride into Center City for New Jersey and New York residents, who could then use SEPTA once they arrive in the city.

"I don't see really big numbers in SEPTA riders increasing" as a result of a new service, Maloney said.

He added that while he doesn't believe NJ Transit will have an effect on SEPTA's business, it's a welcome development.

"Any time someone is providing additional service for public transportation, there is a benefit for all," Maloney said.

College junior Brooke Prashker, who is from Staten Island, said that she dislikes taking the R7 because of all the local stops which can sometimes cause her to miss the NJ Transit train in Trenton but that her use of any new service would depend on its price.

"It depends on the price, but if it was within similar pricing of the NJ Transit, I would definitely consider it," Prashker said. She added that the new service "would be more convenient and [faster] because usually you have to sit around in Trenton waiting for another train."

Currently, NJ Transit runs a line that links Philadelphia with Atlantic City. The new plan calls for 11 of the 14 trains arriving daily from Atlantic City to then continue north to Trenton, Princeton Junction and Hamilton before reaching Newark.

There is also the possibility of creating a line that would connect New York and Atlantic City that would target gamblers who want to bounce between the two cities.

The deal is by no means finalized but transit officials expect the new service could come on line in about 18 months.