[Dave Walker/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Engineering sophomore Ludovic Pelletier shows guests to their seats at the Annenberg Center. His work-study ushering job lets him see shows for free.

College junior Emma Kirwan spends most of her free time at the gym -- but not working out.

Rather, Kirwan earns money as an instructor at Pottruck Health and Fitness Center's rock-climbing wall.

"It's a great way to exercise and meet a lot of cool people," Kirwan said of her job.

Kirwan is just one of 2,804 students employed in on-campus jobs this academic year.

With hourly wages ranging from $6.30 to $12.80, students looking for employment have numerous on-campus options to choose from.

Some of the highest-paid work-study jobs include assisting in research, working in the Wharton dean's office and catering for University dining.

According to Student Employment Office Manager John Rudolph, work-study jobs not only help students earn money, but are great ways to help build resumes and make important career connections.

"I have certainly had my share of writing recommendations for students -- for employment and for other reasons," Rudolph said.

For College sophomore Julie Lee, the benefits of her work-study job are more immediate.

Lee, who works in the computer lab of the Weiss Tech House, cited free printing and copying as perks of her position.

"It's not a really strenuous job," said Lee, who earns $8 an hour, adding that she sometimes has the opportunity to do homework while at work.

Some work-study positions prove to be more popular than others.

"Five years ago, I only had one student on staff, and then I got two, and now I have 50 students on staff," said Daniel Tharp, audience services manager at the Annenberg Center.

Tharp says that although many students vie to be an usher for Annenberg performances, he selects his ushers -- who can attend Annenberg events for free -- very carefully.

"I like the student applicants to come and interview in person," he said. "It is important that the student comes and really enjoys what they see on the stage."

Many students find that they stick with their initial jobs throughout their college careers.

College senior Julia Nicolaysen has worked in the admissions office for all four years of her college education.

While she only receives $7.35 per hour, Nicolaysen says she could not imagine working anywhere else.

"It's really interesting, and for the most part the people who I work with are very relaxed," Nicolaysen said. "While we have important work to do, it's not always so intense."

Nicolaysen prepares applications to be reviewed by the admissions officers and organizes all admission materials.

All students who work in the admissions office must sign a confidentiality agreement with the University.

Calling that common sense, Nicolaysen said, "I actually prepped my best friend's little sister's application. ... I knew [that she was accepted] before she did, but it would not have been right for me to say anything."

Campus pay scale

- Wharton Dean's Office: Marketing communicationsassistant -- $12/hr - Campus Dining Services: Catering server -- $10/hr - Harrison College House: Graveyard shift ITA -- $9.40/hr - Provost's Office: Office assistant -- $7/hrn Athletics: Ticket-taker-- $6.75/hr Source: Student Employment Office