San Jose State University remained open this morning while campus, city, state and federal law enforcement agencies assessed the threat of continued attacks that destroyed two New York City skyscrapers and at least four airliners. Terrorists hijacked two airliners and crashed them into the World Trade Center in a coordinated series of blows that brought down the twin 110-story towers. A plane also slammed into the Pentagon, bringing the seat of government itself under attack. American Airlines and United Airlines both confirmed that each had lost two planes. Thousands could be dead or injured, a high-ranking New York City police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The SJSU announcement was made shortly before 9:30 a.m. by SJSU Police Chief Ric Abeyta. Gov. Gray Davis has placed all state facilities on high tectical alert, said Sylvia Hutchinson, SJSU spokeswoman. The University Police Department has been in touch with all local state and federal law enforcement facilities, Abeyta said. "We are continuing to monitor the situation." Abeyta and and Lt. Bruce Lowe, UPD public affairs officer, were not available for direct comment.

Copyright Spartan Daily