It is that time of year again. The sun has emerged from the clouds, the birds from their nests and Penn students from their dormitory solitude to begin preparing for final examinations. With exams looming in the not-too-distant future, students in the throes of reading days are adapting their lifestyles to the rigors of intensive studying. With modifications made to eating, sleeping and studying habits, they are buckling down during this stressful time. The first crucial decision for studying lies in the choice of venue. And students have chosen to hit the books just about anywhere but their dorm rooms. With TV all too distracting, the presence of roommates bothersome and the ability to constantly check e-mail tempting, dorm rooms can be breeding grounds for procrastination. "I get too distracted in my room," said College freshman Stephanie Hertz, echoing the feelings of many students. In addition to the traditional favorites -- the Van Pelt Library's Rosengarten Reserve Room and the Furness Fine Arts Library -- students with an overflowing supply of books and papers are flocking to Xando, the Penn Bookstore and the Silfen Study Center in Williams Hall. Freshmen need not stray from their beloved Quadrangle for the ideal location. They've been heading to McClelland Hall and the Ware College House study lounge to read, highlight and scribble notes. Also crucial to the success of a study location is the level of noise. Some feel that a touch of noise is crucial to effectiveness, while others swear by silence. "The bookstore is my favorite place to study," College freshman Rebecca Farr said. "There is enough noise, but it is white noise, so you can still concentrate." Others prefer the kind of study atmosphere where a book page turning causes all heads to turn. "Furness is my favorite place," Wharton freshman Dan Feldstein said. "It is totally quiet and distraction-free." Everyone takes a unique approach to the studying process. Some can be found in the library 24 hours a day, compulsively reading and re-reading, while others are confident in reviewing the material just once before the big day. And as study hours increase, students are catching less and less of that crucial shut-eye. Reading days can get the best of students, throwing them into vicious cycles of sleeping late and staying up until the wee hours of the morning. "I never sleep during finals," College junior Ryan Matthews said. In addition to bizarre sleeping patterns, students often hit the junk food along with the books. Long hours spent studying do not afford breaks for balanced meals. And with time at a premium, convenience foods like chips and soda are tempting. "I eat a lot of junk food. Just snacking a lot more in general," Matthews noted, adding that his foods of choice are pizza and ice cream. Though stressful now, when the last exam has been taken, students will pack up a year's worth of belongings and bid farewell to roommates, friends and, perhaps best of all -- final examinations -- for the summer.