Hundreds of students from throughout the eastern seaboard -- including a large contingent from Penn -- flocked to George Washington University Tuesday afternoon to hear an address by outspoken Israeli President Ezer Weizman. Although not as well-known internationally as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Weizman's role in the government's history, while primarily ceremonial, is nevertheless considered pivotal and influential. The speech attracted students from Penn, Temple, the University of Delaware and Pennsylvania State. The trip to GWU was sponsored by Hillel. Wharton junior Matt Engel, president of the Pennsylvanian Public Affairs Committee, represented the University in a student panel that posed pre-approved questions to Weizman. "He has a lot of his own opinions," Engel said of the often controversial leader. "But there's nothing wrong with him speaking his mind." Focusing heavily on his Zionist belief that all Jews should live in Israel, Weizman sparked discussion and debate throughout his half-hour address. Stressing that "intermarriage and assimilation" are problems threatening the future of the Jewish people, Weizman promoted Israel as a country replete with opportunity and encouraged those present to make aliyah -- the Hebrew word for moving permanently to Israel. "Are you looking for the future of your children? If yes, then Israel is the answer," Weizman said. "The best thing that [Jews] can do is raise a family in Israel." Many of the panel questions focused on the role of Jewish-American students today, eliciting responses from the president that allowed him to reiterate his support for a Jewish exodus to Israel. During the panel discussion, Engel asked Weizman what Jewish students in America could do to celebrate next year's 50th anniversary of the state of Israel -- "short of making aliyah." "Go out in the streets and dance the hora," was the president's response. And despite Israel's often turbulent history, Weizman projected a bright future for the country, emphasizing its technological advances and strong economy. "I invite you all to take part in the next 50 years. I think we'll make it," he said, noting that his "soul is refueled" by this trip to the United States, during which he met with President Clinton and other government officials. In the crowning event of the afternoon, GWU President Stephen Trachtenberg presented Weizman with an award recognizing Weizman's "singular role in shaping events" surrounding the "sometimes fragile existence of the State of Israel." "It's refreshing to see someone so proud of Israel, [considering] all of the negative media," said Liz Minkin, a program associate at Hillel. Weizman concluded with a joke, noting that Israelis "are moody people? No wonder. We get blown up from time to time."