OFSA official says chapter won't reclaim former house After three years in exile, the Penn chapter of the Theta Xi fraternity has been officially re-recognized as a colony at the University. The colony will eventually apply to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs for official recognition as a chapter, but there is no chance the fraternity will regain its former house on Locust Walk, according to OFSA Assistant Director for Programming Tom Carroll. The group has 20 members and is looking into recruiting new members and finding a house for next year, according to Theta Xi Fraternity Headquarters Associate Executive Director Stu Manewith. The Omicron chapter of Theta Xi was kicked off campus and out of its house in 1992, after the property sustained severe damage from a party and for "membership practices that contradicted with fraternity policies," Manewith said. But after a ceremony Saturday attended led by officials from Theta Xi headquarters, the group has been given a chance to make a fresh start. "We're all very enthusiastic and excited to be a part of Theta Xi," said a member of the chapter who wished to remain anonymous. "We're still trying to establish ourselves and get ourselves on our feet." Headquarters officials are equally excited about the resurgence of the Omicron chapter. "We're thrilled because we have a very long history at the University of Pennsylvania," Manewith said. "The chapter had been in operation for at least 70 years, so we're delighted that the chapter had an opportunity to return to the campus." Alumni involvement will play an integral role in the chapter's re-founding, according to Manewith. "The national fraternity insisted that there be a strong level of alumni involvement as far as advice and programming," he said. "It's going to be a new start with the students and over 800 alumni." Manewith also said the leaders of the chapter participated in leadership training this weekend to learn efficient methods of operating a fraternity chapter. Alumni of the Penn chapter of Theta Xi are currently looking for a property for next fall. Manewith said the alumni will rent a house for the chapter for the next year or two, and is raising funds to buy a house for them near campus. Carroll said the group could rent a property from the University sometime in the future. Presently, there is no space available. University President Judith Rodin announced last year that the Penn Women's Center will occupy the former site of the Theta Xi fraternity house beginning next fall. As a colony on campus, Theta Xi will immediately renew its membership in the InterFraternity Council. "They were always a strong chapter, we're always happy to grow," College senior and IFC President Dave Treat said.